Cleaning the microwave is one of those dreaded tasks. It can get really nasty, really fast. Its usually dried on yuk and tough to get off without a heavy duty cleaner. There is something unsettling about cleaning the microwave with heavy chemicals. How much of that is getting absorbed back into the next thing you cook? This is where our handy dandy vinegar comes in.
You will need the following:
- A dirty microwave
- 1/4 cup of white distilled vinegar
- 1 cup tap water
- I x 2 cup capacity microwave safe dish
- 1 set of heat resistant pads or gloves
- Damp sponge
- Pour vinegar and water into microwave safe bowl
- Place the bowl in the middle of the microwave
- Turn microwave on high for 5 minutes
- Let rest in the microwave for an additional 2 minutes (this lets the steam do its thing in loosening up all the gunk)
- Using heat resistant pads or gloves carefully remove dish from the microwave. This dish still contains boiling water so be careful when you are taking it out.
- Remove the glass plate and the round turny thing under it. (Sorry don’t know what that is called)
- Take your damp sponge and wipe out the inside of the microwave.
- Wash the glass plate and the turny thing (officially a term now) dry and put back in the microwave
Look how clean and sparkly it is now. And the most important thing…..no chemicals in site and it took me less than 10 minutes. Win Win.